Newberg Cultural District Board

Tuesday, November 6, 2018  |  5:30 pm |  Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Robert Soppe, Jim McMaster for Don Clements/CPRD, Leah Griffith for Newberg Library, Sean Andreis for CCC, Elise Yarnell Hollamon   Audience:

  1. Welcome 5:30 pm  –  Soppe
  2. Approval of the Minutes for October 2, 2018.  Minutes were approved.
  3. Public Comments – An email was received from a neighbor, Marion McMuldren recommending different color choices for the planters at the Lee Garden and a concern for event planners to work around the bright colors (orange and blue specifically).  Sean Andreis, as the CCC director and the group that works with event planners will take her concerns under advisement and respond as such to Ms. McMuldren.    He has not had any complaints or concerns expressed by event planners regarding the planters.
  4. Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District—There were repairs to the tile art piece at the south east corner where some flashing had been dislodged.  City facilities staff made the repair.
  5. Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary – The Early Bird Rotary dedicated the structure recently.  Robert Soppe indicated he would do a thank you to the group for their efforts.
  6. Policy for Waiving Fees   —  Sean will work on this.
  7. Projects to recommend to CPRD for SDC consideration – Robert will write a letter from the board recommending improving the gravel lot as a possible project.
  8. Revisions to IGA:   The revised IGA draft was reviewed.  A couple of typo/grammar changes were made.  It was moved/seconded to send the draft on to the City and CPRD for their review and at the January NCD meeting those changes will be reviewed.
  9. Public Comments – none
  10. Board Comments – The next meeting will be Tuesday January 8 at 5:30 pm.   The meeting schedule for 2019 will be on the January agenda.
  11. Robert Soppe and Jim McMaster are leaving the board after many years of service.  Their work on behalf of the Newberg Cultural District is much appreciated.
  12. Adjourn at 5:45 pm

Meeting minutes taken by Secretary, Leah Griffith

Newberg Cultural District Board

Tuesday, October 2, 2018  |  5:30 pm |  Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Robert Soppe, Jim McMaster for Don Clements/CPRD, Leah Griffith for Newberg Library, Sean Andreis for CCC     Audience: Teresa Arnold, neighbor   Excused:  City of Newberg position OPEN

 

  1. Welcome 5:30 pm  –  Soppe
  2. Approval of the Minutes for September 11, 2018.  Minutes were approved with the following added to section 2 regarding Tunes on Tuesday.   Soppe expressed concern that it was claimed there were no reports to the ND Police Department when he was aware of two separate reports.   No minutes for 10-8-18
  3. Board Comments – Leah reported she had talked with Sgt. Eric Ronning, NDPD Festival Street Administrator and he reported “no significant issues” during Tunes on Tuesday.   There were four parking or pedestrian calls (one car was reported as parked in a  no parking zone and a warning was issued, one car was warned for parking the wrong way, one car was called as blocking a driveway and was warned and moved and one pedestrian was warned for J-walking).    He reported he did not received any complaints or suggestions regarding any issues from the Reserves working Tunes
  4. Public Comments – No comments
  5. Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District–no report
  6. Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary – It has been complete except for gutters.  Robert will draft a letter of thanks to the Early Bird Rotary for their efforts in building the shade structure.
  7. Policy for Waiving Fees   —  No report
  8. Projects to recommend to CPRD SDC consideration – Robert will write a letter from the board recommending improving the gravel lot as a possible project.
  9. Revisions to IGA:   A revised IGA draft was reviewed (attached).  There were some additional changes.  They will be incorporated and brought to the Cultural District Board in November.   If approved by the Board, they would be submitted to the City and CPRD for their review and then back to the Board for any reconciliation of their recommendations.   They could be presented to the CPRD Board and City Council in February or March.
  10. Public Comments – none
  11. Board Comments — none
  12. Next meetings:    November 6th, no meeting planned for December
  13. Nomination and election of Neighborhood representative.   Teresa Synder and Robert Soppe were present as qualified neighbors.   Teresa Snyder was duly elected as the neighborhood representative for a two year term, January 1, 2019-December 31, 2020
  14. Adjourn at 6:45 pm

Meeting minutes taken by Secretary, Leah Griffith

Newberg Cultural District Board

Thursday, September 11, 2018  |  5:30 pm |  Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Robert Soppe, Jim McMaster for Don Clements/CPRD, Leah Griffith for Newberg Library, Sean Andreis for CCC     Audience: Shannon  Buckmaster (for Tunes discussion)   Excused:  City of Newberg position OPEN

 

  1. Welcome 5:30 pm  –  Soppe

2.    Tunes on Tuesday:  Shannon Buckmaster, Tunes chair, was in attendance.  Tunes worked pretty well this summer.  We did decide we need some additional event parking signs.  The signs for the neighbors seemed to work well.   Notice will go out to the city departments, CPRD, CCC and the library that if people want those no parking signs, to contact the library.    That had been a bit of a mix up this year.     For the most part the shared garbage with the library’s summer lunch program worked fine until Waste Management picked up the dumpster a day early.  We worked it out, but we’ll want to make sure that doesn’t happen in 2019 and we aren’t charged for the August 29th.  Still having issues with some of the food vendors and grease.  Shannon will talk to them and they may or may not be allowed to return or to be in the same location.   We had some issues with people blocking the exit to the gravel lot and we’ll look at more permanent signs for 2019.   Soppe expressed concern that it was claimed there were no reports to the ND Police Department when he was aware of two separate reports.  Leah will check with the NCPD to get a report on any parking issues, especially tickets or towing.

3.   Approval of the Minutes for July 22, 2018.  Minutes were approved.  No minutes for August 8, 2018

4.    Public Comments – No public in attendance

5.  Update on Signage-At this time we won’t put a sign on School/Sheridan.   If needed, a sign will go near the splash pad.

6.  Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District-The trees and pots on the plaza were discussed.  It was suggested that the main users (Camellia Fest, Lavendar Fest, Tunes and Oktoberfest) get together with the CPRD staff and determine where the trees can be placed with most or all staying in place all summer, or if any need to be moved, it is minimal.  They were added to provide shade in the summer and if they are removed each summer, it defeats the purpose.      The picnic tables (yellow and blue) by the splash pad will get moved to the plaza at some point this fall.

7.  Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary – It is up and just waiting finishing touches

8:  Policy for Waiving Fees:  Moved to October meeting.

9.  Revisions to IGA:   Robert and Leah will work on this.

10.  Public Comments-no public in attendance

11.  Board Comments-none

12.  Next meetings:    October 2nd 5:30 for board, 6:30 for public, November 6th, December 4th.

13.  Adjourn at 6:35 pm

Meeting minutes taken by Secretary, Leah Griffith

Newberg Cultural District Board

Thursday, August, 2018  |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Robert Soppe, Jim McMaster for Don Clements/CPRD, Leah Griffith for Newberg Library     Audience: Shannon  Buckmaster (for Tunes discussion)   Excused: Sean Andries for Cultural Center,  City of Newberg position OPEN

 

  1. Welcome 6:30 pm  –  Soppe

3.    Tunes on Tuesday:  Shannon Buckmaster, Tunes chair, was in attendance.   The first Tunes was very well attended at 2,000 or so and it is anticipated that there will be a number of concerts that have high attendance.   There was still some concern about getting the parking signs out and also making sure the access to the overflow/gravel parking is open.

4.   Approval of the Minutes for May 8, 2018.  Minutes were approved.

5.    Public Comments – No public in attendance

6.    Lavender Festival:   It is this weekend.

7.  Update on Signage-CPRD Signs: no new action

8.  Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District:    No new info

9.  Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary – It is happening, just very slowly.

10:  Policy for Waiving Fees:  Moved to August meeting.

11.  Projects to recommend for CPRD SDC Consideration-We need to formalize a list.  We talked about finishing the overflow/west/gravel lot, adding electricity and new cover for the Christmas Tree, adding tables and furniture to the plaza that has an art look to it, not just functional.

12.  Revisions to IGA:   Robert and Leah will work on this

13.  Public Comments-no public in attendance

14.  Board Comments-Robert has talked to area resident Michele Joslin about his position and she is interested.    The City is planning on painting the Annex and putting in a permanent stage that covers the canopy area that Tunes uses.  This will be a September project.

15.  Next meetings:    August 8 or 9 depending on availability of board members, September 11th and October 2nd for the annual end of summer meeting and election of neighborhood representative.

16.  Adjourn at 7:00 pm

Meeting minutes taken by Secretary, Leah Griffith

Newberg Cultural District Board

Tuesday, May 8, 2018  |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Robert Soppe, Jim McMaster for Don Clements/CPRD, Sean Andries for Cultural Center, Leah Griffith for Newberg Library     Audience: Shannon  Buckmaster (for Tunes discussion)   Excused: Matt Murray for City of Newberg

  1. Welcome 6:30 pm  –  Soppe

2.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda – Added a discussion about Fee Schedule and updating the IGA

3.    Tunes on Tuesday:  Tunes will pay the Cultural Center for staff to put up parking signs in the neighborhood as well as monitoring the restrooms.   Jim McMaster noted that the blue tables will be returning to the aquatic center.  Tunes will be working on doing more recycling of trash and are working with a Scout on that project.    There will be some new fencing delivered to replace some of the damaged fencing from the initial order. There was some discussion about options for tables including using wood tables, talking to Anvil Academy, painting existing CPRD tables as a Rotary work project and other options.  All were in agreement that the tables need to add to the esthetic and artistic look of the district.   The Board is excited to see the changes that Tunes are implementing this year.

4.   Approval of the Minutes for April 3, 2018.  Minutes were approved.

5.    Public Comments – No public in attendance

6.  Camellia Festival Report:   It was larger than last year, but there were no parking complaints

7.  Update on Signage-CPRD Signs: no new action

8.  Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District:    We should continue to ask for wayfinding.

9.  Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary – It is happening, just very slowly.

10:  Policy for Waiving Fees:  Sean will return with recommendations for fees and waiving.  It was decided to delegate to CCC staff to waive fees, using the concept of grandfathering in the groups using the district from the beginning.

11.  Projects to recommend for CPRD SDC Consideration-Wayfinging signage,  West side parking,  Library Forecourt at Hancock St improvements, Library Amphitheater

12.  Council/CPRD Board presentations for annual report:  City May 7th, CPRD April 26th.

13.  Public Comments-no public in attendance

14.  Board Comments-The City is working on a “right of first refusal” letter for the homeowner at 215 N. School so that property could have an option of coming into the district in the future.    Robert Soppe informed the board he won’t be applying to continue as the neighbor representative and so a new one will need to be selected in October, 2018.

15.  Next meetings:    Tuesday, June 5th and Thursday, July 12th (change for Tunes)    August will be determined later.

16.  Adjourn at 7:08 pm

Meeting minutes taken by Secretary, Leah Griffith

Newberg Cultural District Board

Tuesday, April 3, 2018  |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Robert Soppe, Jim McMaster for Don Clements/CPRD, Sean Andries for Cultural Center, Matt Murray for City of Newberg, Leah Griffith for Newberg Library     Audience: none

  1. Welcome 6:35 pm  –  Soppe

2.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda – none

3.    Approval of the Minutes for February 6, 2018.  Minutes were approved.

4.    Public Comments – No public in attendance

5.  Tunes on Tuesday initial discussion – Leah will be checking with Waste Management to see if they will donate for the summer lunch program and then Tunes can piggy back on that.  Cultural Center will charge $125 a night for putting out parking signs, pick up signs and managing the interior of the cultural center (restrooms).

6.  Camellia Festival is this Saturday.  Sean announced that Carissa Burkett is the new staff member in charge of booking events.

7.  Update on Signage-CPRD Signs: no new action

8.  Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District:  Matt reported on the Yamhill County Tourism and discussion regarding the TLT.  We should continue to ask for wayfinding.

9.  Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary – There has been some work on the area with the City and CPRD assisting with the big work.

10:  Policy for Waiving Fees:  The framework is that it is a non-profit and the event is sponsored by one of the four agencies in the District (CRPD, City, Cultural Center, Library).

11.  Projects to recommend for CPRD SDC Consideration-we need to be looking at the master plan.

12.  Council/CPRD Board presentations for annual report:  City May 7th, CPRD either April 26 or May 31.

13.  Public Comments-no public in attendance

14.  Board Comments-Leah offered that we probably need to mark the parking spots on Sheridan better.  She’ll connect with the city on that.  Robert suggested we move the annual meeting to a different time of year.  It’s in the IGA so we should review the IGA

15.  Next meetings:    May 8, June 5

16.  Adjourn at 7:19 pm

Meeting minutes taken by Secretary, Leah Griffith

Newberg Cultural District Board

Wednesday, January 10, 2018  |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Robert Soppe, Jim McMaster for Don Clements/CPRD, Sean Andries for Cultural Center, Matt Murray for City of Newberg, Leah Griffith for Newberg Library     Audience: Bryan Stewart, CPRD

  1. Welcome 6:30 pm  –  Soppe
  2. It was noted that Sean Andries, the Chehalem Cultural Center Executive Director, is now the official representative to the Cultural District Board from the CCC.

2.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda – Annual Report for CPRD Board and Council, put on agenda after TLT application

3.    Approval of the Minutes for December 5, 2017.  Minutes were approved with the following changes:  1.  The meeting was not in the ballroom.  2.  There are 3.17m available in SDC funds.   The October 3, 2017 minutes were not available.

4.    Public Comments – None

5.   Large Planters for CCC Forecourt – Bryan Stewart brought pictures and plans for 7 “BIG” pots to place in the forecourt.  The Early Bird Rotary Foundation has funded the project for the pots and plants.   These pots are moveable, however, they would require a truck and/or forklift so they wouldn’t be moved often.   Bryan would work on placing them where they would have to be moved the least.   Murray moved and Griffith seconded to approve the pots for the forecourt.  Approved.   It was suggested the CPRD determine a cost to move them and chargeback any group that wants them moved for their event.

6.  Update on Signage-CPRD Signs: McMaster would like board members to review the location of the sign at School/Sheridan.  It is over 5 ft long and he’d like to make sure that is acceptable.  Board members will view the space and report back the next meeting.

7.  Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary – Leah will contact Rotarian Rick Condon about where the Early Birds are on this project, especially to get something up before the summer season.

8.  Washed ashore sculpture update – Andries will check when the sculpture will be taken down.    There has been a lot of good feedback from people viewing it both as a piece of art and an environmental statement.

9.  TLT application update – The Cultural District application for wayfinding signs was not recommended by the TLT committee.   The catering kitchen for the CCC was recommended.  This will also include restroom accessible from the CCC Forecourt which is a benefit to the Cultural District.   City Council will be reviewing the recommendations at their January 16th mtg and awarding the grants.  The CD board recommended that we continue to explore TLT and other funding for the wayfinding signs.

10.  Annual Report to CPRD Board and City Council:   We will have our Cultural District annual meeting on February 6th at 6:30 pm at the Cultural Center.    Griffith with check with the CPRD Board and the City Council for date(s) to present the annual report.  It might be able to be given during the joint meeting of the two groups in late February.

11. Policy for waiving fees.  This developed into a discussion about charging to recover costs.  We decided that Tunes would be charge 5 hrs of CCC staff time for each week to cover the placing and picking up of the parking signs and checking and stocking the restrooms as well as monitoring people in the CCC.   CCC will bill Tunes directly.  The City will provide a garbage receptacle and Tunes will cover half the cost with the library covering the other half for their free lunch program.  Griffith will contact the Tunes on Tuesday chair to inform them of these plans.   This was approved by a vote of the board.   At this point we are not pursuing rental fees, but looking at recouping costs incurred by the City, CPRD, or the CCC.

12.  Projects to recommend for CPRD SDC consideration:  This was an extension from December’s discussion.  Projects could be the shade structure, signage, Carnegie Court stage or revision of Howard Street.  We talked about what type of projects are eligible and that CPRD designated some of those funds for cultural center(s).

This led to a discussion that the CD needs to have a strategic plan of what we want to do, both with capital projects, but also how the area should be programed and used.   Griffith will work on a first draft of a plan.  We may also want to bring someone in to facilitate the process and discussion.

11.  Public Comments:  None

12.  Board Comments:   None

14.  Next meeting February 6th, no meeting in March, April 3 (invite Tunes specifically to this one.

Adjourn at 7:58 pm

 

Meeting minutes taken by Secretary, Leah Griffith)