Newberg Cultural District Board

Tuesday, December 5, 2017  |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

Attendance:  Members:  Robert Soppe, Jim McMaster for Don Clements, Sean Andries for Cultural Center, Matt Murray for Newberg    Absent: Leah Griffith   Audience: Mike Ragsdale (CRPD Board Member & Newberg Downtown Coalition), Joe Hannan (Newberg City Manager)

  1. Welcome 6:30 pm  –  Soppe

2.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda – None

3.    Approval of the Minutes for October 3, 2017–Postponed

4.    Public Comments – None

5.  Update on Signage-CPRD Signs: installed in NW corner, still waiting on SE corner (same as last meeting)

6.  Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District –Joe Hannan reported on the TLT request status.  Presentations have been made and we are waiting on decisions.  The requests received were about $250k greater than the fund total.  For Large Requests, there is about $475k in the fund with about $125k expected to be added each year.  The focus is on off-season events.

Hannan then initiated a long discussion into use of CPRD SDCs for improvements in the Cultural District.   He noted that CPRD had designated $3.17M over the next 20 years specifically for Cultural Center(s) projects and suggested that appropriate projects from the CD Master Plan should be identified.  The consensus was that the CD Board should take an active role in selecting the projects and bringing them to the CPRD Board.  Mike Ragsdale indicated he would keep the CD Board up-to-date as the CPRD Board further refined their SDC process.

There was discussion about restrictions on Park & Rec CPRD funds, similar to those on Transportation, Water, etc.

Hannan reported on a Minneapolis-based “Art Spaces” group that has interest in establishing Art Living Spaces in Newberg.  He used the Library Annex building as a possibility for such use.  There was brief discussion of the present plans for that site.

7.  Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary – Jim McMaster indicated that the plan was to have it constructed before the warm weather next year and that further planning was needed.

8.  Washed ashore sculpture update – It was noted that the sculpture had been installed.  Soppe mentioned that he had heard some very positive comments from several people.

9.  TLT application update – This was discussed under 6.

10. Policy for waiving fees.

No Discussion (waiting on refinements of what was previously discussed)

11.  Public Comments:  None

12.  Board Comments:   None

14.  Next meeting January 9th (moved from January 9 because of Council meeting conflict), February 6th, March 6th

Adjourn at 7:37 pm

(Note: meeting minutes were taken by Chair Soppe)

Newberg Cultural District Board

Wednesday, August 9th, 2017  |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center-Ballroom

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Robert Soppe, Leah Griffith, Jim McMaster for Don Clements, Jim Halliday for Cultural Center    Absent: City representative-position open   Audience: Leslie Banke (Tunes on Tuesday),  Mike Ragsdale (CRPD & Newberg Downtown Coalition, Steve Olson (City of Newberg Community Development Department)

  1. Welcome 6:30 pm  –  Soppe

2.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda – None

3.    Approval of the Minutes for July 12, 2017–Approved

4.    Public Comments – None

5.  Tunes on Tuesday  Leslie Banke, co chair of Tunes on Tuesday

The events have been going pretty smoothly.   No complaints from neighbors about parking have been brought to our attention.  The parking tickets and citations were during the first couple of big events for people parking unlawfully in yellow zones or under No Parking This Side of Street signs.    The last two events (August 1 & 8) have been much smaller (750) than the first few (1,500-2,000) due to excessive heat and jazz and blues that don’t have as big an audience as groups like Johnny Limbo or Hit Machine.  We talked about our objective being to make the events not be a huge burden on the neighborhood, not that we wouldn’t have any cars parked in the neighborhood.   We decided we wouldn’t rule out blankets and chairs left early on the Carnegie Court, but they are subject to damage, theft or use by small children with the lunch program.   If people leave chairs/blankets out early in the day, they are doing at their own risk.

Robert offered to walk the parking signs next week with their volunteer and to make sure the map of the signs gets to them as well.  Leslie will contact him next week to do so.

There are sufficient parking directional signs at this time.

Restrooms at the CCC were ok the last couple of weeks with the smaller size of the audience.   It will be a continuing project to check on them throughout the events.  This is allows Tunes not to rent porta potties.

6.  Cultural District Master Plan:   The plan from 2012 prepared by Meyer/Reed and Hennebery Eddy Architects was reviewed at the city’s request as they are reviewing all plans to receive updates.  Steve Olson from the City Community Development Department was at the meeting to take notes.    The group reviewed the plan’s components and noted what had been accomplished, what hadn’t been accomplished and notes if the ideas had been changed over the 5 years since the plan was developed.    The plan and the board’s notes are appended to the end of these minutes.

7.    Wayfinding Signs

CPRD Signs – no action

Banner for the front of library-It should arrive on Thursday the 10th.   The group decided to order a second one to place on the Bultler property on 1st Street to direct people up to the Cultural District.   Leah will order.

Shade structure by Early Birds.  It’s slowed a bit, and the plan is to put it up in the  off season, not while families are wanting to use the splash pad.

8. Washed ashore sculpture-Sharyl is meeting with the Dobbs Winery people on August 10th and she’ll update us.

9.  Policy for waiving fees.

No Discussion

12.  Public Comments  Mike Ragsdale mentioned the idea of GFU Serve Day crews painting the Annex.   Leah and Mike will look into this.

13.  Board Comments:   None

14.  Next meetings  October 3rd, December 5th      No Meetings planned for Sept. or Nov.

Adjourn at 7:46 pm

Newberg Cultural District Board

Wednesday, July 12, 2017  |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

Attendance:  Members:  Kris Horn, Robert Soppe, Leah Griffith, Jim McMaster for Don Clements  Absent: City representative position open   Audience:   Jim Halliday & Sharyl Frickas (Chehalem Cultural Center), Leslie Banke (Tunes on Tuesday),

  1. Welcome 6:30 pm  –  Soppe

2.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda – None

3.    Approval of the Minutes for June 6 , 2017–Approved

4.    Public Comments – Jim Halliday Interim Director of the CCC was introduced.

5.  Tunes on Tuesday  Leslie Banke, co chair of Tunes on Tuesday, discussed the first event.

They are looking at using chalk to direct people better for lines for vendors

They will assure that the open parking spaces for access to the overflow lot are maintained.

Teens missed picking up parking signs up on College.  We will continue to work on methods to get the signs in the right places.  Leah will number them for easier pick up.

Leah shared the tickets and citations that were issued by Reserve Police Officer, Chris Bolek.   All were related to parking in the yellow or in other no parking areas.   No Problems with anyone with the signs at their homes.

They are working on checking numbers and estimated 2,000 for the first night.    Robert asked if possible to count the wrist bands for another number.

Trash worked pretty well.   There was a lot and the city will be adding trash pickup at the Annex so Tunes can use that instead of the Cultural Center.

Restrooms at the CCC needed more checking.  Need more help to actually put out paper  products.  Tunes will work that out better.

6.  Lavender Festival

It was a larger event than previous years   Parking signs were used.

7.    Wayfinding Signs

CPRD Signs – no action

Banner for the front of library-Getting ready to order from Rendered.

Shade structure by Early Birds.  They are getting ready to put it in.  Jim is working with them on permitting,

8. Washed ashore sculpture-no updates

9.  Revision to Parking Action Plan (subtracting normal use)  Robert asked for the “normal use”  for the library and cultural center to be added back to the calculation.   It’s been moved and seconded to add them to the parking plan.  Approved,

10.  Daytime events/parking

Crystal Apple Awards June 14th  at 4 pm.  A comment was received from a resident about blocked parking at 4 pm.   It was a surprise to have had so many individual cars at that time.  Parking will be reviewed again for those daytime events.  We need to have some kind of notice to neighbors as that really affects them coming home from work.

Public Works Day   We need to make sure we use the overflow parking.    Ask city employees and vendors to park on Sheridan in the spaces where the event isn’t being held.

Suggestion was made for a nicer sign to direct to people into the overflow lot.

The patio is planned to start the next couple weeks and then about 3-4 weeks to finish.

11.  Policy for waiving fees.

Events that are primary sponsored by City, CPRD, and Cultural Center will be considered for waiving of fees.   This requires that those staff are significantly involved in planning and carrying out an event and aren’t just a sponsor in name only.   It needs to be clear that it is sponsored by one of the big three.  A fee schedule will be reviewed for other groups.

We discussed the impact of these big events on the Cultural Center’s ability to book the ballroom, especially on prime weekend time.   We might consider only allowing a certain number of big outdoor events on weekends.  Cultural Center staff will look at the impact    of those big events that limit their ability to book the ballroom and other locations, This is especially difficult if an event that doesn’t pay fees is booked and eliminates the CCC from booking a $2,500 wedding.

12.  Public Comments  None

13.  Board Comments:   Leah will check with the Mayor about a city appointee.

14.  Next meeting August 9th, October 3rd, December 5th                                                                      No Meetings in September or November.

Adjourn at 8:07 pm.

Newberg Cultural District Board

Tuesday, June 6, 2017  |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Kris Horn, Don Clements, Robert Soppe, Leah Griffith (City representative position open)   Audience:   Sharyl Fickas (CCC staff)

1.     Welcome 6:30 pm  –  Soppe

2.     Tunes on Tuesday   Shannon Buckmaster

2.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda –

3.    Approval of the Minutes for May 4, 2017

4.    Public Comments – None

6.  Wayfinding, Design, and Art in the Cultural District

1.  Update on Signage –CPRD Signs No update now

2.  Banner for front of Library-

3.  Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary

4  City TLT Grant

5.  Event Parking Signs

1. Designating locations – Soppe/Griffith

2.  Update on supply of signs

7.    Public Comments

8.    Board Comments

Adjourned,7:30 PM

Newberg Cultural District Board

Tuesday, May 4, 2017  |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

Attendance:  Members:  Kris Horn, Don Clements, Robert Soppe, Leah Griffith   Absent: Hayley Delle

Audience:   Sharyl Fickas (CCC staff)

1.     Welcome 6:34 pm  –  Soppe

1.    Note:  The regular meeting was moved from May 2nd to the 4th due to conflicts with City Council meeting.

2.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda – Board Membership

Summer Lunch Site

3.    Approval of the Minutes for March 2, 2017  (no meeting held in April)

1.    Add the word MAY to the 7. / 3 as “the funds MAY be placed” Soppe moved to approve the minutes, Clements seconded.   Approved.

4.    Public Comments – None

5.   Cultural Center Improvements/Effect on District

Planning commission approved the patio on the ballroom.

1. Kitchen  Theater: Parking discussion with planning staff   Leah and Don shared about meeting with the city Community Development office (Doug Rux and Steve Olson)  with Rick Lee and Karen Halliday from the CCC Board were also there.  Robert Soppe had a conversation with city manager, Joe Hannan, who shared that he’s interested in pursuing the expansion.  Robert shared that he sent the parking plan to the Planning Commission and was concerned they likely didn’t receive.    They need info on how the plan has worked for the last couple of years.   The CCC board will need to be developing a parking plan as part of their application and they will run it by the NCD board.

6.  Wayfinding, Design, and Art in the Cultural District

1.  Update on Signage –CPRD Signs No update now

2.  Banner for front of Library- No Action yet

3.  Shade Structure-Newberg Early Bird Rotary On-site meeting   Leah will ask for update

4  City TLT Grant:    Robert shared about the TLT grant and looking at how we may apply for a large grant.  He’s working on finding out the deadline and looking at matching requirement.   We need a “sponsor” and it would likely be CPRD.  But we need to see if CCC is going to request funds.    Leah will talk to Doug and/or Joe ask about applying   Should the City be able to apply for the grant for the NCD.

Don will find out if CCC is applying for any of the funds.

Leah will talk to Russ Thomas about ODOT directional signs to the Center with signs on College (at Sherman) , Hancock (at Blaine), First (at Howard), and Main (Sherman).  These would direct people to the proper parking areas.

Robert talked to Jeff Lane at Newberg Steel about doing the big steel signs.  They replied they aren’t interested as it’s not what they do.  He suggested talking to sign companies.  Robert also talked to machinist/engineer and he might be interested in doing it.

We may or may not apply for TLT depending on the project.

Sharyl asked about how the district works and we explained how the city and CPRD are partners and currently neither group currently provides monetary support.

7.  Event Parking Signs

1. Designating locations – Soppe/Griffith will take a walk and look around for where the signs need to be placed.

2.  Update on supply of signs-Sharyl ordered 10 new signs.  Leah will check for more signs at the Annex.  She’ll also ask the City to direct us to put the signs on College Street as per Robert Soppe’s interpretation of code.

8. Recent and upcoming Events

1.  Parking Plans (Camellia Festival, event on April 22nd)  Sharyl did a plan for the Camellia Festival and the event didn’t seem to be big enough for a parking plan.  There is a need to make sure how to use gravel lot.  Leah has the No Parking signs that can be used to keep the route to the gravel lot open.   Could they permanently stencil a permanent no parking signs on those spaces, something to think about?

2.  Summer lunch sites-June 21 – August 25   Robert moved that if the school district has a  summer lunch program they can use Carnegie Court with no fee.  Clements seconded and it was approved.

3.  We may be looking at putting ina community garden at the north end of the library.

9.   Board Membership-Hayley Delle is resigning from city council effective May 15th due to family commitments.  The Mayor will appoint a new representative to the Cultural District Board.   Leah will ask the Mayor what his thoughts are on the appointment.

10.  Public Comments

11. Board Comments   Thank you Sharyl for coming.

Next Meeting

2.    June 6th 6:30 PM, Chehalem Cultural Center Community Room.   Ask Young Pros to attend to talk about Tunes on Tuesday

Adjourned, 7:59 PM

Newberg Cultural District Board

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Attendance:  Members:  Kris Horn, Don Clements, Robert Soppe, Leah Griffith   Absent: Hayley Delle

Audience:   Bryan Stewart

1.     Welcome 6:30 pm  – Griffith

1.    Election of new officers:    It was moved by Horn and 2nd by Clements and approved unanimously for the following to take office immediately:   Robert Soppe, chair;  Leah Griffith, Secretary

2.    The meeting was turned over to new chair, Robert Soppe

3.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda – None

4.    Approval of the Minutes for December 6, 2016 and February 7, 2017

1.    Horn moved to approved the minutes for December 6, 2016 with no changes and the February 7, 2017 minutes with adding the names of the community members attending and removal of the section under public comments,  Clements seconds.  Approved.

5.    Public Comments – None

6.    Cultural Center Improvements & effect on the District – No discussion

7.    Wayfinding, Design, and Art in the Cultural District –

1.    Update on Signage – CPRD Signs have been ordered

2.    Banner for front of Library – decided to add library and cultural center names to banner.  Final approval for design will be made by email approval of the board.  Horn indicated she may have some funds available to pay for the banner.

3.   Out of the discussion about the funds that Horn may have available, it was moved by Clements and seconded by Horn that any funds donated to the Cultural District be placed in the CPRD Foundation under the Newberg Cultural District.   Approved.   The CPRD Foundation has many special funds for their various projects and adding this one for the NCD would be a simple way to manage any donated funds.

3.    Shade/Shelter Structure near splash pad—No representatives from the Early Bird Rotary were in attendance.  The board indicated they wanted to see a more specific design.   We would also like a walk through so we all understand exactly where it would be located.

8.    Public Comments

1.    The TLT grants were discussed as a way to fund signage.  The Camellia Festival has applied for a grant.     Griffith will find out more information about the TLT grant process and email to board members.  (note an email was sent and TLT for large grants will be moving forward later in the spring).

9.    Board Comments

1.  Jennifer Justice is the new Chehalem Cultural Center Director.  She will be invited to a future meeting.

2.   The Newberg Noon Rotary is carrying out a project to place Peace Poles throughout the community to encourage people to look for peaceful resolutions to problems.   One will be placed at the Cultural Center/District and the board looked at the location in the planting bed near the Sherman Street entrance.  It was agreed it would be a good site and was approved.

3.   Griffith reported on the annual report presentations to city council and CPRD board in February.   They went well and as usual, it was shared with those elected officials that the NCD Board does have authority through the IGA to approve any changes to the NCD (the grounds surrounding the CCC and library).

Next Meeting

1.    Clements moved to cancel the April meeting and Horn seconded.  Approved.

2.    May 2nd, 6:30 PM, Chehalem Cultural Center Community Room.   Ask Young Pros to attend to talk about tunes on Tuesday

Adjourned, 7:26 PM.

Newberg Cultural District Board

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 |  6:30 pm  

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

Attendance:  Members:  Kris Horn, Don Clements, Robert Soppe, Hayley Delle

Audience:   Rick Lee, Rick Condon, Jessi Rich, Bryan Stewart, Mary Martin Miller, Carol Lawson

Absent: Leah Griffith

Called to Order, 6:35 PM.

1.     Welcome – Soppe

1.    Welcome Hayley Delle, and guests

2.    Additions or Deletions to the Agenda – Soppe

1.    No changes.

3.    Approval of the Minutes for December, 2016

1.    Soppe moves to defer minute approval until next meeting as they were for the most part unread, Clements seconds.  Approved.

4.    Public Comments

1.    No comments

5.    Parking Plan to Commission (Soppe)

1.    Parking Plan discussion was simple, as plans were approved at last meeting (see previous notes).

2.    Clements will take to Planning Committee  w/notes on the proposed patio by the ballroom.

3.    Clements also makes note to consider additional parking considered to alleviate stress on the neighborhood by using large lot owned by CPRD, and using relationship with George Fox University and their overflow lots.

4.    No official actions.

6.    Cultural Center Improvements & effect on the District –  Lee

1.    Presented basic plan to finish the lower level of the building with a full kitchen and staging room as well as additional bathrooms.  This would remove the black box which will be replaced by upstairs theater.

2.    Lee also presented on the overall plans/expectations of completing upper level and overall design plans (see planning notes for more details).

3.    In this development, Lee also mentions that CCC will work to pay attention to events and parking to help with the parking issue.

4.    March 9th, the plans will go the planning commission.

5.    No official actions.

7.    Wayfinding, Design, and Art in the Cultural District – Soppe & Clements

1.    Update on Signage – CPRD Signs, will be working on continuing to price out and hoping to have up by the beginning of the summer.

2.    Banner for front of Library – general comments made about cleaner designs and an “artsy” feel to be made to the signs to help establish District.   Asked if CCC would help with this, Jessi & Kris said they would look into more info/artists.

3.    Presentation made by Rick Condon with Early Rotary about potential plans for a Shelter Structure on the playground.  Example plans showed a slanted roof with open sides, would be designed to match aesthetic of building.  Discussion over dimensions, look, and location led to being asked to bring a developed pitch to the next meeting.

4.    No official actions.

5.    Public Comments

1.    Issues were raised by some community members about consideration not only for parking during events, but of the atmosphere impact on the neighborhood.  Example was given of changes to Tunes on Tuesday that made it feel less like a family friendly environment (the addition of the beer garden and the increased number of people).  Then discussed was how Tunes was working to alleviate this with ID checks, sectioned areas, and the ability of neighbors to block off parking spaces.

5.    Board Comments

1.    No comments.

Next Meeting

1.    Clements  moved to have a meeting in March to go over updates and new plans, Soppe seconds.  Approved.

2.    March 7th, 6:30 PM, Chehalem Cultural Center Community Room.

Adjourned, 7:45 PM.