Newberg Cultural District Executive Board

Wednesday      November 3, 2015     6:30 pm 

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

Members Present: Rourke, Soppe, Griffith, Dailey    Absent: Clements   Public: Fieldhouse.

Call to Order: 6:36

Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair

Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  –  Leah Griffith

Public Comments:  None

Approval of the Minutes for  October -  Dailey    Approved with no changes.

Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District

Plan for funding presentation     No formal plan at the moment. Mayor is pulling together some individuals for comment.

  1. Soppe recommends asking for some real-world quotes for signage.
    1. There are the street sign kinds of signs and the “sculptural” signs
      1. Russ Thomas is (sort of) looking  in to the conventional signs
      2. Dailey will ask Newberg Steel for a “rough estimate” quote on the sculptural signage.
  2. Rourke recommends that we get language prepared by February around the TLT funding
    1. Dailey agrees to prepare some language and possibly numbers around TLT funding.
  3. Soppe wants to emphasize that signage IS for visitors more than locals.
    1. Also let’s be cognizant that some of our partner’s also are interested in the funding, so we must be well-prepared.
    2. The “art” of the signage will be important to catch the attention to those who have never been here (as is the spirit of the TLT funds).
  1. Annual Report to CPRD and City Council
    1. Scheduling:  Annual meeting will be February 2nd at 6:30 pm
      1. Feb 25 for CPRD.
        1. Dailey will present this one.
        2. NCD Board understands that Dailey will also (most likely) present his annual Chehalem Center Association report at the same meeting.
      2. March 7 for City of Newberg-Leah will present this one.
  2. The NCD board recommends re-evaluating the NCD agreement.
    1. Griffith will send out the current draft to Members.
  1. Parking Plan-Soppe & Rouke
    1. Soppe asks the Board for input on potential changes to the plan.
      1. Dailey suggests replacing the language that specific says no NCD visitors should park in the neighborhood with something like the NCD will work toward ensuring livability of the neighborhood.
      2. Make sure there is a clear process for feedback.
      3. Include the “No Parking” signs options for residents in the plan.
      4. Rourke and Soppe comfortable with moving forward
  1. Public Comments
    1. NONE.

 

  1. Board Comments
    1. NONE.
  1. Next Meeting:
    1. Dailey motions that relevant NCD information be exchanged via email in lieu a December meeting and we reconvene January 5, 2016.
      1. Rourke seconds.
      2. APPOVED.
      3. Griffith will send public notice of changes and information about public meeting.
  1. Adjourn: 7:45

 Newberg Cultural District Executive Board

Tuesday      October 14, 2015     6:30 pm 

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES 

BOD: Clements, Rourke, Griffith, Soppe, Dailey

Guests: Rick Lee (CCC Board), Jessica, Kinion (Tunes), Vangie Pattison (Tunes), Kurt Johnson (neighbor), Teresa Arnold (neighbor)

Call to order: 6:30, Introductions

  1. Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair
  2. Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  —  Griffith
  3. Review of 2015 NCD outdoor activities.
        1. Discussion on Camellia and Lavender Festivals, generally positive, hoping to grow carefully.
        2. Tunes on Tuesday.
          1. Parking. Police-approved no-parking signs seemed to be a success.
          2. Tunes Representatives say it was the best year yet.
          3. Grass has grown back!
          4. Vendor and sponsor feedback from their survey was positive.
          5. Beer garden worked. Tunes crew is looking at the idea for next year, may or may not change it. They are pleased with the relationship they have developed with OLCC.
          6. When the two neighbors were asked directly if they had feedback at all, they both responded that they had nothing but positive experiences.
          1. As the season progressed, it became apparent that the playground began to be dominated by teenagers, rather than children for whom the playground was designed.   Officers helped to resolve issues, however Tunes and CCC will look at this for next year.
          2. One suggestion: crossing guard on Hancock. Or thinking of a strategy to get people to cross at Howard.
  1. Review of Parking Plan.
    1. Covered in #2.
  2. Public Comments.
    1. Gravel lot, ballroom patio question from Johnson. He likes the plans for beautifying the space.
  3. Election of Neighborhood Representative.
    1. Neighbors select Robert Soppe for another term.
    2. Rourke suggests he and Soppe re-work the parking plan and bring it to the NCD board for updated review.
  4. Approval of the Minutes for  September-  Dailey
    1. Approved once “It pretty much worked” is stricken from 2a1.
  5. Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District.
    1. Parking and wayfinding signage within the district.
      1. CCC would apply for the tourism grant as the fiscal sponsor, with the NCD (including the stakeholders) on the application. The conversation is not yet on the City Council’s agenda. Earliest may be January.
      2. Sign at Entrance at Howard and Hancock may be included as well.
  6. Public Comments
    1. Thanks to the NCD board for the work they do! Aw.
  7. Board Comments.
    1. Sign code has been revised. It’s not as complicated now.
  8. Next Meeting: Tuesday, November 3, 2015
  9. Adjourn: 7:33

 

Newberg Cultural District Executive Board

Tuesday      September 1, 2015     6:30 pm 

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES 

Guests: Shawn Waver (Masonic Lodge), Rick Fieldhouse (Masonic Lodge), Vangie  Pattison (Tunes on Tuesday)

Directors: Griffith, Clements, Soppe, Rourke, Dailey

  1. Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair
  1. Tunes on Tuesday Review
    1. Parking Plan
      1. It pretty much worked this year.  CCC staff put out the signs on Hancock.  Signs directing driver to parking on College and at Sheridan and School were intermittent and need more consistency next year.   We’re hoping there will be some permanent signs by then.
  2. Options for neighbors
    1. All signs returned but one is missing.
    2. All respondents gave positive feedback and like the program.
    3. Need to remind neighbors to take signs down once they have parked for the evening.
    4. All neighbors will be notified next year for the signs within the newsletter in June and July.  Soppe offered to contact them directly.
  3. Tunes reports a great year!
    1. Jessica Kinion had a baby this week! Congratulations!
    2. They are sending out surveys to sponsors, vendors, and bands.
    3. Liked the setup a lot better this year.
      1. Stage was an improvement.
      2. Happy with how the beer garden was received.
      3. They can take the stage and tent now.
        1. Leah will check whether onsite storage is feasible.
        2. Only main issue that rose were the teens that started to dominate the playground.
        3. Having reserve officers was a very nice addition to the event.
        4. Never got any sound complaints.
        5. No complaints about garbage being left.
        6. Masonic Lodge reports no complaints, says if they didn’t know about Tunes, they wouldn’t have known the events had happened.
        7. We might have a parking info “handout” for next year.
  1. Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  –  Leah Griffith
    1. NONE.
  1. Approval of the Minutes for  August -  Dailey
    1. Soppe had a couple comments:
      1. Item 8.2, it was two concerts.
  2. Approved
  1. Public Comments
    1. No complaints about Tunes. Everything seems to be going just fine. No issues about Farmer’s Market.
    2. Masonic Lodge has a new renter who does movement and art for kids. Also ballroom for adults. Should have no conflicts.
  1. Board Comments
    1. NONE.
  1. Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District
    1. Parking and wayfinding signage within the district
      1. Russ Thomas is checking into making some of the directional signage, getting costs, etc.
      2. Brown street signs might have more impact than temporary signs.
      3. CPRD board is reviewing costs for some of the smaller signs.
  2. Sign at Entrance at Howard and Hancock
    1. We haven’t gotten any information yet.
  3. NCD board would like to prepare a proposal for tourism dollars to go toward signage and wayfinding.
    1. Would like to get this together by December.
    2. Cultural Center will begin to make a concerted effort to collect zip codes from now on.
  1. Ballroom Patio and parking
    1. Clements presents some previous iterations of the master plan.
    2. The NCD board supports the completion of the patio as long as the gravel lot still meets the variance that is in place—and with the understanding that the patio does not create additional parking needs.
      1. Rob moves, Rourke seconds.
        1. Approved unanimously.
  1. Next Meeting:   Wednesday,  October 14, 2015 6:30 (moved as some board are unavailable on Oct. 6th)
  1. Public Comments
    1. NONE.
  1. Adjourn
    1. 8:27pm

Newberg Cultural District Executive Board

Wednesday,   August 12, 2015*     6:00 pm 

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

Call to order: 6:01

  1. Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair
  1. Tunes on Tuesday Update
    1. Parking Plan
      1. 8 neighbors have requested NO PARKING signs.
      2. Griffith has reminded them and will again that they should  take the signs in after Tuesday.
        1. Soppe agree with this.
    2. Griffith asked for comments from the neighbors and got two responses.
      1. Both were positive about the program.
      2. One said it might be nice to have permanent signs.
    3. Police have issued several citations for illegal parking. They cross check car’s registered owner with the resident address (another reason to have the resident address).
    4. Soppe is concerned about signage being placed.
      1. Dailey says he has had Cultural Center staff place signs on Hancock.
      2. He has not had anyone place signs on College.
      3. Soppe mentions there is still some uncertainty about temporary signs on College and Hancock.
    5. Griffith would like to talk about permanent signage in specific locations, like down College.
      1. Rourke suggests a tiered parking plan.
      2. Soppe and Clements voice support for this.
    6. Dailey asks if there has been any specific comment from the neighborhood about parking, or are we working off of 3 year old assumptions?
      1. No member has heard any new complaints for 2015.
      2. Don noticed parking available north of the district during even the biggest concert (Johnny Limbo).
      3. Soppe noticed a lot of cars up and down all streets.
    7. Soppe mentions the circulation flow is important.
      1. Drivers should always go clockwise.
      2. During one concert a sign was placed at Sheridan directing traffic the wrong direction.
      3. That sign will not be placed that way again.
    8. Tunes committee needs to honor their agreement that they attend meetings
      1. They need to be at all the meetings in the spring and through the summer season
    9. Perhaps we should revisit penalizing groups who do not follow the rules and complete to requirements of the district.
  1. Options for neighbors
  1. Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  –  Leah Griffith
  1. Approval of the Minutes for  July -  Dailey   Minutes of the July 8, 2015 meeting  were approved with the revisions below.
  1. Soppe adds the following amendments to the previous minutes:
    1. Soppe suggests the curbs need to be repainted near crosswalk. “No one is upset yet,” says Soppe, but he “will talk to the police department about it.”

I would suggest rewriting it as: Soppe suggested that the fact that it is a safety issue should promote enforcement.  The safety issue and wanting to avoid upset attendees who have been cited was why he felt it should be mentioned on the Tunes site where blocking driveways was mentioned.  He indicated that he would discuss enforcement with the Police Department.

  1. Soppe: wants to recall the circulation pattern that Griffith developed is recalled. Pattern goes clockwise around the Center.

I would suggest rewriting it as: Soppe pointed out that the signage on the east end of Sheridan was encouraging traffic to follow a pattern that is both contrary to the circulation pattern that Griffith developed, encourages parking specifically where we are trying to avoid it, and makes it more difficult to park where we do want attendees to park.

Somewhere in that section I would add:

Soppe asked about why the Tunes applicant didn’t follow the written contract with regard to the placement of signs.  Dailey and Griffith felt that it was unrealistic to expect a volunteer group to follow the rules to which they have agreed.

  1. Public Comments
    1. None present.
  1. Board Comments
    1. None.
  1. Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District
    1. Parking and wayfinding signage within the district
      1. Plan for the design exists. We might get some solid estimates for fabrication.
      2. Soppe wants to be reminded what might be quoted.
      3. We should be ready to apply for money when it becomes available, specifically money related to tourism.
      4. Soppe says maybe restrooms near the splash pad could be considered a tourist attraction.
      5. Dailey suggests a large theater in the Cultural Center could be a big tourist draw.
  2. Sign at Entrance at Howard and Hancock.
    1. We can begin getting quotes on signage.
    2. Best if we can present them in pieces that can be funded separately.
  1. Review of Fee Schedule-Rob
    1. Revenue from two private events that have used the Cultural District in August.
  1. Ballroom Patio and parking
    1. Clements mentions that CPRD is going back to the City to get the Ballroom patio completed.
      1. The gravel area will continue to be a parking area. The patio area will not be available for parking.
      2. Griffith says she would not like to lose the remaining parking spaces.
      3. It is unresolved whether, in the long term, the gravel lot will be parking or not. This will certainly be revisited.
      4. Soppe reiterates that he will support what has already been approved by the Planning Commission.
      5. CPRD will probably go to the City in September.
  1. Next Meetings:  Tuesday, September 1st (back to normal)
    1. Dailey request the review of the parking plan take place in October.
    2. Dailey asks that we move meetings to 6:30pm.
    3. September 1 at 6:30
    4. October 14 at 6:30. This is also the public meeting.
    5. Then 6:30 thereafter.
    6. Should also notify neighbors that the Neighborhood Representative position will be open.
  1. Public Comments
    1. None present.
  1. Adjourn
    1. 7:48

Newberg Cultural District Executive Board
Wednesday, July 8, 2015     6:00 pm  
Chehalem Cultural Center 
AGENDA

Present: Griffith, Soppe, McMaster (on behalf of Clements), Dailey

Excused: Rourke.

  1.  Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair: 6:03
  2. Tunes on Tuesday Update
  3. Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  –  Griffith
  4. Approval of the Minutes for  June -  Dailey
  5. Public Comments
  6. Board Comments
  7. Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District
    1. Bike Racks
    2. Sign at Entrance at Howard and Hancock
  8. Overview of Parking Plan
    1. How is new process working?
  9. Review of Fee Schedule-Dailey.
  10. Next Meetings:  August 12th   Moved due to Tunes on Tuesday       Tuesday, September 1st (back to normal)
  11. Public Comments
  12. Adjourn 7:29.
    1. Seems like it went well.
    2. Beer and wine enclosure seemed to work, although there was some evident surprise, but it is generally understood among this board and the Tunes committee that “things do change.”
    3. CPRD had a question about 220V at the annex. CPRD was asked to provide power, but Jim was confused. We will clarify that.
    4. Garbage was a slight problem. Some can disappeared from last year. Soppe said “one of his many comments” was that there were no trash bins on the east end.
    5. Griffith distributed the no parking signs for neighbors. Three were distributed.
    6. Police ticketed one person who parked to close to a cross walk.
      1. Soppe suggests the curbs need to be repainted near crosswalk. “No one is upset yet,” says Soppe, but he “will talk to the police department about it.”
    7. There are always things to be learned, and the Tunes volunteers will be expected to continuously take feedback and improve their operations.
    8. Soppe: it would be nice for the Tunes Committee understood the sign code.
    9. Soppe: wants to recall the circulation pattern that Griffith developed is recalled. Pattern goes clockwise around the Center.
    10. Soppe: Gravel lot appears to handle 24 cars.
    11. Soppe: We should suggest they count people in the beer garden. It may help to estimate the total attendance.
    12. Griffith: anecdotally, it appears there were many people coming from the downtown core.
    1. McMaster would like the ballroom garden in the agenda.
    1. One correction of a correction. 4a also has an L.
    2. Approved.
    1. NONE
    1. CCC refers to it as the “Ballroom Patio”
    2. CPRD will be going for approval for the patio.
    3. CPRD seeks approval for the patio to go forward.
    4. Soppe will look up what has been approved, and if it has been approved, he supports it.
    5. MOTION: If this project complies to the requirements of what has already been approved as phase II, then this board has no objections to that.
      1. Unanimously approved.
    6. Water runoff is outside of the purview of this body.
      1. Front racks have been installed
      1. No progress yet.
      2. Soppe is still interested in having the Cultural District banners on the city poles. It will require city approval of a “city slogan.” Soppe may address this.
      1. Soppe: I like the signs a lot. People can commit themselves or not.
    1. Soppe: seems reasonable, if the Cultural Center is comfortable.
    2. Make sure it is known that you cannot simply rent Sheridan. You need to rent either Carnige Court or the Plaza.
    3. Also suggestion that we split Sheridan into East and West.
    4. All of Sheridan includes the north part of Howard.
    5. Listed as 3 spaces: W Sheridan, E Sheridan, all of Sheridan (which includes the north part of Howard, the “t”.)
    6. The halves are $20/hour. The whole is $40/hour.
    7. MOTION to adopt fee schedule as amended.
    1. NONE.

Newberg Cultural District Executive Board

Tuesday   June 2, 2015     6:00 pm 

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

  1.  Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair
  1. Tunes on Tuesday Update
    1. Tunes on Tuesday representatives are present.
    2. Vangie and Kristen.
    3. Big change this year is a beer and wine garden, with a vendor taking the role as a applicant to OLCC as the alcohol manager.
  1. Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  NONE
  1. Approval of the Minutes for  May
    1. Baine does have an “e”
    2. Approved
  1. Public Comments: NONE
  1. Board Comments: NONE
  1. Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District
    1. Bike Racks
    2. Sign at Entrance at Howard and Hancock
  1. Overview of Parking Plan
    1. How is new process working?
    2. Leah has example signs that are approved by the City and the police department.
    3. We will send out a notice to all neighbors about parking concerns related to Tunes on Tuesday. The notice will contain a mention of the No Parking by Order of the Chief of Police signs.
      1. Rourke suggests adding the resident address to the sign.

 

  1. Review of Fee Schedule-Rob
    1. Rob requests tabling the issue for another more month to enable his staff to do additional research.
  1. Next Meetings:  Wednesday, July 8th      Wednesday, August 12th   Moved due to Tunes on Tuesday

Tuesday, September 1st (back to normal)

  1. Public Comments NONE
  1. Adjourn 7:36

Newberg Cultural District Executive Board

Tuesday  May 5, 2015     6:00 pm 

Chehalem Cultural Center

Minutes

 

Diectors: Griffith, Clements, Soppe, Rourke, Dailey

Guests: Vangie Patterson, Kristen Stoller, Rich Brown

Call to Order 6:01

  1.  Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair
  2. Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  –  NONE
  3. Approval of the Minutes for  February -  APPROVED
    1. Add “to manhole cover” to 12. a.
    2. Public Comments – NONE
    3. Board Comments  – NONE

Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District

    1. Review of requirements to place furniture, signs or other objects in the District
    2. Banners with design at Howard and Hancock and in district(3 on Hancock, 6 in District)
      1. Griffith suggests having a NCD banner to rotate through the sign frame in the front of the library. May lead to multiple locations.
  1. Ongoing activities
    1. Limitation of parking on Howard St. in front of library to 2 hr time limit – Approved
    2. City Ordinance changes-Approved
      1. Affect on Processes—simplified, administered through CCC.
  2. Options for bicycle parking
    1. CPRD will get on it and aim to have staple bike racks installed by the first Tunes.
  1. Review of Parking Plan
    1. Simple form administered by CCC for users
    2. Neighbors can request signs for just Tuesdays, and the police will place them the first time so they know where they can go.
    3. Soppe comments on parking evaluation from last meeting:
      1. Changes sent to Griffith.
  1. Review of Fee Schedule
    1. Soppe recommends the CCC study and propose recommendations to the NCD board
    2. Dailey accepts this, will do by next meeting.
    3. Clements suggests making the minimum $325 per use.
  1. Tunes on Tuesday-Update
  1. Representatives are in attendance
  2. Dailey to send Patterson a parking map
  3. Tunes will have parking volunteers at all events
  4. Sponsor banners
    1. Motion: allow Tunes banner to remain on CCC side for duration of program
      1. Unanimous
        1. Banner must not violate city of Newberg sign code
      2. Griffith needs to know the sizes of sponsor banners
  5. Insurance. Rich Brown is representing YPYC on this matter.
    1. Young Pros are working with CPRD and expects to have that wrapped up in the next few days.
    2. Must have City, CPRD, CCC, and Masonic Lodge.
  6. Rich Brown represents the Young Pros for OLCC.
    1. YPYC is writing an event management plan that includes alcohol monitors.
    2. All vendors also have OLCC permits and insurance.
    3. CPRD will be the legal organizer of the event.
    4. Young Pros have met with OLCC and worked out a plan.
  7. Summer stage
    1. Griffith and Kristen Stoller are meeting with Newberg Building Inspector to determine what will work, and possibly without a permit.
    2. Young Pros can build one if they get permission
  8. Communication Plan
    1. Concerns from the NCD should go first to:
      1. Rob Dailey, who will then speak with
      2. Kristen Stoller, who will then communicate with
      3. Vangie Patterson, who will then communicate with the whole Young Pros group.
  9. Final thoughts.
    1. Clements suggests that all volunteers park at George Fox (check with them) or 2nd Street and walk the short distance.
  10. Signs are being stored at Annex, so storage plan is needed.
    1. Young Pros will work on that.
  11. NCD board appreciates that Tunes organizers are at the meetings (and will be). The board expresses optimism for the season.
  12. CPRD is committed to being involved in the OLCC compliance.
  13. All Tunes volunteers must be background checked though CPRD’s process. If they are not background checked, they do not represent CPRD and are therefore not insured.
  14. NCD suggestion that you do not allow entrance from Blain side in order to control alcohol and parking…
  1. Art in public spaces effort
    1. Tabled until the volunteer group meets.
  1. Future Activities
    1. Annual Report to City Council, March 17th 7pm and CRPD Board March 26th 6 pm
    2. Future meetings: July 9th.
  1. Next Meeting:  June 2, 2015
  1. Public Comments – NONE
  1. Adjourn: 7:51

Newberg Cultural District Executive Board

Tuesday   April 15, 2015*     6:00 pm 

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

In attendance: Soppe, Rourke, Griffith, Clements, Dailey.

Public: Rick Fieldhouse (Masonic Lodge)

CALL TO ORDER 6:01pm

1.        Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair

2.       Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  –  Leah Griffith

a.. Table Item 9 until next meeting

3.       Approval of the Minutes for March -  Moved by Soppe/2nd by Rourke

4.       Public Comments

a. Now through May 10 CPR will have weekend performances. Should be taken into account as far as parking.

5.       Board Comment.

a. Power outlets are still up from Camellia Festival. Could be a trip hazard at night.

b. Dailey thanks Tony Rourke for his fantastic job as emcee at Camellia Festival.

6.       Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District

  1. GFU Class offered to take a look at the wayfinding in the District. We gave them a scope and they said they would be interested but probably not until next year.
  2. Griffith is thinking that things like seating and bike rack placement would be a great project for them. Other options that

7.       Ongoing activities

  1. City Ordinance changes-Approved
  2. Change in process for street closures and noise permits.
  3. Griffith is working with Police Chief to develop a quick form for requesting street closures.
  1. Review of Parking Plan
    1. Some changes made. See draft.
    2. Griffith will talk to City about placing parking signs so they can meet City code.
    3. NCD Board recommends a deposit of $100 for parking signs, in case they don’t get returned.
    4. Soppe recommends the NCD offer “Parking Monitors” as a service for a fee.
    5. Rourke recommends making an instruction page and a fill-out page for the parking plan
  1. Review of Fee Schedule
    1. Discussion deferred due to lack of information to consider.
  1. Review of Camellia Festival
    1. Very successful community event.
    2. Approximately 3,500.
    3. The emcee was fabulous.
  1. Tunes on Tuesday-Update
    1. Tunes and CCC are still working on the MOU for fiscal sponsorship.
    2. Biggest concerns are insurance and OLCC.
    3. Tunes organizers need to be at next meeting.
  1. Art in public spaces effort
    1. No movement.
    2. Soppe: keep option for top
  1. Future Activities
    1. Lavender Festival in mid-July.
    2. Truffle Festival will be back next January.
    3. CCC is excited to develop an identity based in part on the intersection of art and agriculture.
    4. Clements mentions an idea that the community should consider a shared, citywide event coordinator.
    5. Russ Thomas says no parking signs on south side of Annex will remain no parking signs.
    6. 2-hour parking signs will appear in front of library this summer.
    7. New markings in front of Sharri Bowman’s driveway will be in soon.
  1. Public Comments
    1. Fieldhouse: last year the lodge hosted lunch for the Shriners.
      1. Looking for improved parking during lunch, especially for floats.
      2. CCC offers gravel lot and will make sure chalk art barricades are not in the way of their exit routes.
  1. Next Meeting, Tuesday, May 5, 2015
    1. If changed, notify Tunes people as soon as known.

16.   Adjourn: 7:54.

 

Newberg Cultural District Executive Board

Tuesday   March 3, 2015     6:00 pm 

Chehalem Cultural Center

Minutes

Call to Order: 6:17

  1. Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair
  2. Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  –  Leah Griffith
    1. Under 7, add d.
    2. Approval of the Minutes for  February -  Dailey/Soppe
      1. Soppe has no changes!
      2. Public Comments
        1. None present.
        2. Board Comments
          1. None.
          2. Wayfinding, Design and Art in the Cultural District
            1. Review of requirements to place furniture, signs or other objects in the District
              1. Reiterate that any permanent changes or additions should not only be approved by the property owners, but it must come before this board for approval.
                1. All features should be consistent with an arts and cultural area and the district’s mission and brand.
                2. Definition of permanent is anything that is affixed with the intention that it will remain indefinitely.
                3. This is because we are the group that is supposed to have the whole vision and the long term vision for the cultural district.
  3. Banners with design at Howard and Hancock and in district(3 on Hancock, 6 in District)
    1. Griffith has had conversations with city planners and engineers.
      1. There are issue with getting banners on Hancock.
        1. GFU has an existing agreement with the City.
        2. ODOT has restrictions.
        3. They are checking whether a vertical banner in front of the library is possible on an ongoing basis.
        4. Light posts within the district are available for banner placement.
        5. Ongoing activities
          1. Limitation of parking on Howard St. in front of library to 2 hr time limit – Approved
            1. Soppe reminds the group about the sign on the Annex.
  4. City Ordinance changes-Approved
    1. Affect on Processes
      1. Goes into effect March 19.
      2. Griffith to clarify forms with City Manager and Cultural Center staff.
      3. City Manager to appoint a festival street authority to make approvals.
  5. Cycle Oregon Grant for bicycle racks – rejected
    1. Options for bicycle parking
      1. Need something in the short term.
      2. Staple racks that are used throughout downtown are the next best option.
      3. In the event that we get the sculpture racks, we can always use the staple racks elsewhere in the city.
      4. Tunes on Tuesday is coming up and a solution needs to be in place.
      5. CPRD would be willing to pay for and install the staple racks.
      6. Review of Parking Plan
        1. Soppe passes out maps with last four Tunes on Tuesday parking observations.
        2. Clements warns against overuse of the “No Parking by Order of the Chief of Police” signs. It could cause additional issues for the police. However, he is not opposed to the signs.
        3. We offered this last year near the end of the Tunes season, and no one (other than the woman with the disabled child) took us up on it.
        4. We will provide information to the residents of the neighborhood that these signs are available.
          1. Signs are to be used only on owner property lines.
          2. Must be put out a certain number of hours ahead of time.
          3. Can be used for events that are qualified by Cultural District Rules (not any time).
          4. Review of Fee Schedule
            1. CCC staff will make recommendations for next meeting.
            2. Tunes on Tuesday-Update
              1. Griffith met with them and they seem responsive this year.
              2. Dailey says they have approached the Cultural Center to be a fiscal sponsor. CCC will negotiate.
              3. Clements says they tentatively approached him about providing insurance. CPRD will negotiate.
              4. More resolution on the transition is necessary. We will address next meeting.
              5. Art in public spaces effort
                1. Manhole cover designs should be decided.
                2. Will give the ideas to the Art in Public Space group to help find artists and clarify vision.
                3. We will give them the four themes: Arts, Heritage, Education, and Community.
                4. Future Activities
                  1. Annual Report to City Council, March 17th 7pm and CRPD Board March 26th 6 pm.
                    1. Confirmed.
                    2. Next Meeting:  April 7, 2015
                      1. Need to change. Several members will be absent.
                      2. Public Comments
                        1. None.
                        2. Adjourn
                          1. 8:08pm

 

Newberg Cultural District Executive Board Meeting: Tuesday    February 3, 2015     6:00 pm 

ANNUAL MEETING: 6:30 pm, 

Chehalem Cultural Center 

Minutes

Present: Rourke, Soppe, Dailey, Griffith,

Call to order 6:04

  1.  Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair
    1. Welcome Tony!
  1. 2.       Review membership of Board – City of Newberg Representative  

Newberg Cultural District IGA  2.B. 1. Membership and Terms – The membership of the Board shall consist of five members. The City, CPRD, the Library, and the Cultural Center shall appoint one member each. These members shall serve four-year terms. A Residential Neighbor representative shall be appointed by the Neighborhood Sub-Group of the Cultural District Advisory Group.  This member will serve a two- year term.   (Note: Robert Soppe is completing one year of a two year term as the residential neighbor representative)

  1. Welcome Tony!
  2. Neighborhood representative is two years, which would be October, but Soppe will be up for renewal at the next annual meeting (when that will be).
    1. Consider moving annual meeting to October.
  1. Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  –  Leah Griffith
    1. NONE.
  1. Approval of the Minutes for  January, 2015

Soppe requests addition to minutes:

6. Board Comments

d.  Soppe asked about the details of the Parking Plan for the event as he didn’t recall what was approved.  Griffith acknowledged that their guideline was to rely on neighbors to request “No Parking” signs if they felt it necessary.  Soppe pointed out that this was not the present Parking Plan and suggested that the rules should be followed until changed.  Griffith acknowledged that the present Parking Plan rules were not followed for this event.

Motion Soppe, second Dailey. Approved.

Opening of Annual Meeting

  1. Public Comments
    1. Written statement from neighbor: Shari Bowman. “2/3/15. Cars are blocking driveway 215 N. School St. It occurs when we are having events. Shari is wondering if we could put signs on her property.”
      1. Other potential solution is an X on the ground. Griffith will talk with Public Works about what is possible.
  2. Other comments:
    1. Good job.
    2. Keep it up.
  1. Board Comments
    1. Soppe asks about banners on Hancock.
      1. No action has been taken on that yet.
      2. Griffith and Dailey working toward them
  2. Manhole cover project (where the tree was during the holidays) will be offered to the Public Art Initiative group.
  1. Wayfinding Project
    1. Griffith submitted NEA final report. Was asked for additional items. Is taking care of it
  1. Ongoing activities
    1. Limitation of parking on Howard St. in front of library to 2 hr time limit – update
      1. Next Monday Traffic Safety will hear Library’s request to have 2-hour parking on Howard in front of Library.
  2. Cycle Oregon Grant for bicycle racks
    1. No news
  3. City Ordinance changes
    1. Griffith hands out DRAFT of Request for Council Action.
      1. City Attorney has not approved DRAFT and will likely rewrite/change/add.
      2. Designed to streamline process of notifying neighborhood and closing event street.
      3. NCD would be the first “Festival Street” of several in the city.
      4. Initial discussion on first DRAFT of RCA, early comments on document.
      5. Hope to have it before the council by next NCD
  1. Public Comments:
    1. Good job.
    2. Keep it up.
  1. Next Meetings:
    1. Annual Report to the Chehalem Park & Recreation Board , Thursday, February 26th
      1. Request sent.
  2. Annual Report to Newberg City Council,  March 16th 2015,   7:00 pm
    1. Confirmed.
  3. Executive Board Meeting   March 3, 2015    6:00 pm
  1. Adjourn: 7:09

Newberg Cultural District Executive Board

Tuesday    January 6, 2015     6:00 pm 

Chehalem Cultural Center

MINUTES

 

Present: Clements, Soppe, Griffith, Dailey

Absent: Howard

Others: Rick Fieldhouse

Call to order 6:06.

  1.  Welcome – Leah Griffith, Chair
  1. Review membership of Board – City of Newberg Representative
    1. Also need to review the IGA to see how often the neighborhood representative should be re-elected and hold that election at the annual meeting if necessary.
  1. Additions or Deletions to the Agenda  –  Leah Griffith
    1. Amendments required. Clarify that Dailey wants advertisements removed from district when sponsored events not occurring.
      1. 1.       Dailey would like any advertisements removed for the other six days of the week, so that people don’t misinterpret other events to be sponsored by Tunes supporters.
  2. Clarify which streetlamps are described in the December meeting.
    1. 1.       Soppe suggests having NCD banners in the Hancock streetlamp holders permanently in place.
  3. All changes made.
  1. Approval of the Minutes for  December –
    1. Clements moves, Soppe seconds.
  1. Public Comments
    1. Rick Fieldhouse: Newberg Historical Society looking into creating a historical district. Very early stages and nothing has been decided.
  1. Board Comments
    1. Soppe talked to one person about the Christmas tree lighting: he heard the sound system didn’t work well. Also this person said the tree was too small.
    2. Clements will insist next year that the parade take a safer route.
    3. All coordinating groups leaned a lot from this first time and many improvements are in the works for next year.
  1. Wayfinding Project
    1. Review of documents and plans
    2. Ideas to implement
    3. Banner with design at Howard and Hancock?
  1. Griffith suggests taking the design elements and investing in a few temporary banners in advance of commissioning the major elements.
  2. Perhaps also invest in a type of road closure device, whether a light frame or the soft bollards that are planned to replace those bollards that have been destroyed this year.
  3. Possible park and ride incentives for use with the trolley, maybe at 2nd street or Jaquith park.
  1. Ongoing activities
    1. Limitation of parking on Howard St. in front of library to 2 or 3 hr time limit – update
      1. Despite no enforcement, library will move forward.
      2. Sign on the back of the Annex should be loading only, not No Parking.
  2. Cycle Oregon Grant for bicycle racks – waiting for response
    1. No word yet.
  3. City Ordinance changes
    1. Truman Stone and Griffith working on drafting ordinance.
  1. Art in public spaces effort
    1. No meeting in December. Nothing new to report.
  1. Future Activities
    1. Banners.
  1. Next Meeting:  February 3, 2015     Annual Meeting
    1. Board meets at 6pm
    2. Public meeting at 6:30pm
  1. Public Comments:
    1. NONE
  1. Adjourn: 7:25